In the year, the British Government occupied Wokha as the District Hq. of Naga
Hill under Assam.In the year 1878, the Hq was shifted to Kohima and Wokha remained as Sub - Division. Again in 1889, the Sub - Division was shifted to Mokokchung. Only in the year 1957, when Mokokchung became a District through the creation of NHTA Wokha again became a Sub - Division. During the first General Election of January 1964, there were Five (5) Assembly Constituencies in the Sub - Division among the total of 40 Constituencies for the State of Nagaland, then Mon, Tuensang were under the direct supervision of the Governor for a limit of 10 years 1973, Wokha District was created and the third General Election was held in 1974, with the additional 20 Constituencies for Tuensang and Mon District. It was during this election, in the re - distribution of constituencies, the number of Assembly Constituency for the Wokha District was reduced to 4 and it remains till date.
Wokha District court was established in the year 1987, A.D.C(J) L. Sosang was the first Magistrate after he separation of Judiciary Shri. L.N Sema was assigned the duty of A.D.C(J) till 2009, Shri. V. Nyekha was the first Distruct Judge he served from 2009 till 2013, Shri. Hukato Swu District & Sessions Judge is currently District Judge.