Click here to download Mobile App for Android

Click here to download Mobile App for iOS

History

Page Type

HISTORY

THE JUDICIAL HEAD QUARTERS OF VIRUDHUNAGAR DISTRICT IS SRIVILLIPUTTUR

Srivilliputhur is a semi-urban town and a municipality in Virudhunagar district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

Srivilliputtur is one of the old historical town, a 1000-year-old temple, 200-year-old Hindu School, 135-year-old Pennington Public Library are remarkable historical evidence for this culturally important town. Thiruppavai, one of the important constituent of devotional Tamil literature period was from this temple town.

The remarkable landmark of Srivilliputhur is 11-tiered tower structure dedicated to the Lord of Srivilliputhur, known as Vatapatrasayee. The tower of this temple rises 192 feet high and is the official symbol of the Government of Tamil Nadu. It is said to have been built by Periyaazhvar, believed to be the father-in-law of the Temple Deity, with a purse of gold that he won in debates held in the palace of Pandya King Vallabhadeva. Another wonder in Srivilliputtur is Chariot which runs on AdiPuram. Srivilliputhur is well known for its ancient heritage and devotional contributions.

It is on the Virudhunagar - Shenkottai line of the Southern Railway, about 74 km south of Madurai and connected by road and rail with Madurai, Sivakasi, Tenkasi & Shenkottai, Thirunelveli and Sattur.

The history of Srivilliputhur centres around the Srivilliputhoor Temple, dedicated to Andal (8th century or earlier), the only female Alvar of the 12 Alvar saints of South India. She is credited with the Tamil works of Thirupavai and Nachiar Tirumozhi that are still recited by devotees during the Winter festival season of Margazhi. Andal is known for her unwavering devotion to god Vishnu, the God of the Srivaishnavas. Adopted by her father, the Alvar saint Periyalvar who found her as a baby, Andal avoided earthly marriage, the normal and expected path for women of her culture, to "marry" Vishnu, both spiritually and physically. In many places in India, particularly in Tamilnadu, Andal is treated more than a saint and as a form of god herself and a shrine for Andal is dedicated in most Vishnu temples.

During the reign of Thirumalai Naikar (1623–1659) and Rani Mangammal (1689–1706), this city became very popular. Thirumalai Nayak renovated the temples of this city. From 1751 to 1756 A.D., Srivilliputhur came under the rule of Nerkattumseval palayakkarar Puli thevar and was a maravarpalayam. Later the Fort of Srivilliputtur was ruled by Periyasami Thevar. Then it fell into the hands of Mohammed Yousoof Khan. Until 1850, Sri Andal temple was under the care of the king of Trivancore. The British ruled the country till India attained freedom in 1947.

Thus attracting a diverse collection of people is situated our Srivilliputtur in Virudhunagar District about 75 kms away from Madurai from north and about 70kms away from Tirunelveli from south. From all these places Srivilliputtur is approachable by road and rail. One can go there almost at any time of the year.

The greatest attraction is the Rajagopuram of the temple; with eleven tiers and 192" height it is one among the tallest towers of temples in Tamilnadu. It has found a fitting place in the emblem of Government of Tamilnadu. It signifies the ancient Tamil architecture; it symbolizes the age old matured culture and stands majestically as a proud tradition; and all are at one stroke.One can miss visiting Srivilliputtur; but never misses the emblem being affixed as Government’s ascent or acceptance on transactions, documents, or promulgation of orders or notifications. If you are native of Tamilnadu, Just search your pocket, check your driving license; there lies the ever shining symbol ‘The srivilliputtur Gopuram’

Front Page: 
Yes