Click here to download Mobile App for Android

Click here to download Mobile App for iOS

History of Tiruvallur

Page Type

 

                   NEW COMBINED COURT BUILDING AT TIRUVALLUR

                       HISTORY OF TIRUVALLUR DISTRICT JUDICIARY:



                                  In the year 2000 the Revenue District of Tiruvallur has been carved out by bifurcating erstwhile Chengalpattu District.  At present this District is comprised of Nine Taluks namely Ambattur, Gummidipoondi, Ponneri, Uthukkottai, Tiruvallur, Poonamallee, Tiruttani, Pallipattu and Madhavaram.

              Following  the Queens Charter establishing High Courts in Madras, Bombay and Calcutta later rechristened as Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkatta, Subordinate courts were established throughout the provinces for administration of justice. The oldest record available in this District is the suit register of the year 1868 maintained by Munsif Court, Tiruvallur.  We find, the first entry in that Suit Register is O.S. No. 55/1868 filed by one Mr. Vinayagam Chettiyar of Pennalurpettai against Kabali Chetty for recovery of Rs. 124.7  Paise  and 6 Annas

                  Records show that at the time of inception, the Munsif Court of Tiruvallur had a vast territorial jurisdiction extending from Madarapakkam and Pazhaverkadu on the North East, Sathiyavedu on the North West,  Vallakkottai and near about Sunkuvarchatram on the South, upto Pakkam on the East and Manavur on the west with a radius of 60/70 Kms at the longest and 30/40 Kms at the shortest.

                 The subordinate Court at Tiruvallur was established in the year 1979.  After bifurcation from Chengalpattu District the first Fast Track Court (District Judge Level) was established in the year 2004. The District and Sessions court was established in the year 2006.   The Court started functioning in the TNHB Building which was earlier housing the Collectorate.  Later, 18 Acre of land was allotted for Judiciary in the Master plan Complex in which the present Combined Court Building and ADR Centre is located.  In the Combined Court Buildings 7 Courts - Principal District Court,   I Additional District Court, Chief Judicial Magistrate Court, Subordinate Court, District Munsif Court, Judicial Magistrate Court No. 1, Judicial Magistrate Court No. 2, are functioning from 01.06.2015.   Proposal for Additional Courts Building is under process to house eight more Courts.

 

 

Front Page: 
Yes
Set Order: 
1