Dispensation of Justice during the British India can be traced back to 1875 when the Sub-divisions of Siwan and Gopalganj were created in the District of Saran at Chapra. The Court of Munsif Ist at Siwan was established in year 1870 and the Court of Munsif 2nd was established in year 1945. The Court of Sub-Judge Ist was established in year 1971 which administered Civil Justice. The dispensation of Criminal Justice was handed over to the Sub-divisional Officer and Magistrates under old Cr.P.C. Siwan continued to be a Sub-division of Saran till 10-05-1976 when the Siwan was created as a district of Bihar with Gopalganj as sub-division of Siwan. However Gopalganj was bifurcated from Siwan and made a separate district. The district Siwan was established as new Judgeship on 10.05.1976 and Gopalganj remained under the Judgeship of Siwan till the creation of Judgeship of Gopalganj on 10-01-1984 after the creation of Gopalganj district.