Click here to download Mobile App for Android

Click here to download Mobile App for iOS

History

Page Type

Raigad District Court

           Raigad and Thane were joint District and Sessions Court till 1949. After separated from Thane, independent District and Sessions Court for Kolaba was established. Shri. B.V. Mangeshwar was the first District & Sessions Judge of Kolaba District. When this District was joined with Thane, the Distirct & Sessions Judge from Thane used to have one sitting at Alibag for fifteen days in a month. All Sessions trials were conducted during that sitting. In 1949 Separate Session Division Court was granted to Kolaba. The District and Sessions Judge was to sit in a separate building belonging to P.W.D., which is now occupied by J.S.M. College. In 1962 new building for the court was constructed and since then the District and Sessions Court and all other Courts are situated in that building. Formerly Raigad was Kolaba District. In 1982 it was named as Raigad District as the Great Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, the king of Maharashtra had his capital of Raigad for, which is situated in this District.

Front Page: 
Yes