Click here to download Mobile App for Android

Click here to download Mobile App for iOS


Page Type


Osmanabad has an ancient history. It was home to the Rashtrakutas and was part of Ashoka's empire. It was, over the centuries, variously ruled by the Satavahanas, the Sakas, the Chalukyas, the Yadavas of Deogiri, the Delhi Sultans, the Bahamani Rulers of South India, Adil Shahi, and the Mughals and after then by Nizam. Thereafter in 17 centaury it became part of the independent princely state of Hyderabad. Earlier known as Naldurg District, in 1905 it was merged with surrounding areas and became Osmanabad district. After independence and the merger of Hyderabad with the Indian Union, Osmanabad became part of Bombay Province. In 1960, with the creation of Maharashtra, Osmanabad became one of its districts. On August 15, 1982, taluka Latur was separated from Osmanabad District and formed separate Latur district. In old Osmanabad district, the Court of Additional District Judge and Addl. Sessions Judge was established at Latur on 1 April, 1959. Prior to Independence Osmanabad was situated in District Naldurg, which was situated in Hyderabad State in NIJAMSHAHI. The District and Sessions Court was working at Naldurga. After Osmanabad district was established in Marathwada region, the District and Sessions Court, Osmanabad is established. Foundation stone of the present building was laid by the Honourable Shri. H. K. Chainani, I.C.S. the then Chief Justice of Maharashtra on 8 February, 1964 (19 Magh 1885) and Inauguration ceremony was performed by the Honourable the Chief Justice of Judicature at Bombay, Shri. S. P. Kotval on 21 January, 1967 (Poush Shudh 10, 1888) and since then the District and Sessions Judge's Court is functioning in the building. The District and Sessions Court was established at Osmanabad by merging the powers of District and Sessions Court, Naldurga. The old Court building was situated in the area now known as Tuljabhavani Stadium. The Name of the First District and Sessions Judge of Osmanabad was Usman Jafar Saheb. At that time 12-15 Advocates were practicing in the Court. The Old record from 1325 Fasli is kept in Central record room.

Front Page: