District Court Motihari
In Motihari, the Courts of Munsif started functioning in the year 1832 under the Judgeship of Saran at District Chhapra. In the year 1921, the functioning of the Courts of Sub-Judge started at Motihari under the Judgeship of Muzaffarpur District. The Judgeship of Champaran District established in the year 1945 and West Champaran bifurcated and notified as a separate Judgeship in the year 1977.
In the year 1974 the Courts of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate,Motihari,Sadar and Sikrahana at Motihari were established with effect from 01.04.1974.The Courts of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate,Raxaul at Motihari was established on 18.04.1994. The special Court dealing with the cases relating to S.C./S.T. Act has started funtioning from 24.11.1990. Permanent Lok Adalat was set up at Motihari on April 9th,2000 with Sri Jaleshwar Nath Verma , Retd. Additional District & Sessions Judge as first presiding Officer.
Family Court has been established on 20th August 2005 at Motihari.