Click here to download Mobile App for Android

Click here to download Mobile App for iOS

History of Courts in the District.

Page Type

eCourts
Hit Counter

 

 

 

 

Pathanamthitta is a combination of two words Pathanam and Thitta which means an array of houses on the river side. This district was formed on 1st November 1982 as the 13th District of Kerala State. Pathanamthitta now includes portions of the Kollam, Alappuzha and Idukki Districts. Pathanamthitta, Adoor, Ranny, Konni and Kozhencherry are some of the important places taken from Kollam District. Thiruvalla and Mallappally are major places taken from Alappuzha District.

 

Before the formation of Pathanamthitta District, 8 courts were the part of these Districts. The District Court, Pathanamthitta was established in the year 1984. At present 22 courts are functioning in Pathanamthitta district.

 

 

1

District Court

1

2

Additional District Court

4

3

Family Court

2

4

Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal

1

5

Chief Judicial Magistrate Court

1

6

Sub Court

2

7

Munsiff’s Court

4

8

Judicial First Class Magistrate Court

5

9

Gram Nyayalaya

2

 

          

 

HISTORY OF COURTS

The Judicial Head Quarters is located in Pathanamthitta which is also the district head quarters. The Principal District Court is housed in the Mini Civil Station, Pathanamthitta where six other courts are functioning. Five other courts are also functioning in the District Court Centre. The other courts of the District are in the Taluk Head Quarters of Thiruvalla, Adoor, Ranny and in Pandalam Block Panchayat respectively.

 

 

PATHANAMTHITTA COURT CENTRE

 

DISTRICT & SESSIONS COURT

The District & Sessions Court at Pathanamthitta commenced its functioning on 20.10.1984. Sri.K V Sankara Narayanan was the first Principal District Judge of Pathanamthitta. At the initial stages the courts at Pathanamthitta including the District Court were housed in some old buildings. Later those courts were shifted to the newly constructed Mini Civil Station situated in the heart of the town.

ADDITIONAL DISTRICT & SESSIONS COURT/ ADDITIONAL MACT-I

An Additional District court was sanctioned to the Pathanamthitta district in the year 1986. The court was also invested with the powers of MACT in the year 1988 since there was no independent MACT allotted to the district.

ADDITIONAL DISTRICT & SESSIONS COURT/ADDITIONAL MACT-II, III & IV

Three more Additional District Courts were sanctioned to the district on Ad hoc basis for speedy trail and disposal of cases to arrest the mounting pendency of cases. Later those courts were converted as regular Additional District & Sessions Courts with powers of Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal.

MOTOR ACCIDENTS CLAIMS TRIBUNAL

An independent MACT was sanctioned to the district in the year 1988 as per G.O(Ms) No.105/2003/Home dated 09.05.2003 having its jurisdiction over the entire Revenue District of Pathanamthitta. The MACT is conducting camp sitting at Thiruvalla once in every week.

FAMILY COURT

The first Family Court allotted to Pathanamthitta district was established at the Taluk Head Quarters of Thiruvalla. It was a long awaited need of the people of Pathanamthitta to have a Family Court at Pathanamthitta itself on account of the huge number of family matters from the Kozhencherry, Adoor, Ranny and Konny Taluks pending before the Family Court at Thiruvalla. The requirement was materialised in the year 2013. On the 3rd day of August, 2013, the Hon’ble Chief Justice of Kerala, Smt.Manjula Chellur inaugurated the newly sanctioned Family Court at Pathanamthitta in the presence of Mr.Justice K.Surendramohan, the Judge in charge of the district, Sri.P D Rajan, the Hon’ble Judge of High Court and other dignitaries. The Family Court, Pathanamthitta is having its jurisdiction over Kozhencherry, Adoor and Ranny Taluks.

CHIEF JUDICIAL MAGISTRATE COURT

The Chief Judicial Magistrate Court at Pathanamthitta started functioning on 20.10.1984, the same date on which the District Court, Pathanamthitta came in to existence.

SUB COURT

A Sub Court which was established in the year 1965 is functioning at Pathanamthitta. The 4 major Taluks viz, Kozhencherry, Adoor, Ranny and Konny falls under the territorial jurisdiction of the Sub Court, Pathanamthitta.

MUNSIFF’S COURT

One Munsiff’s Court is functioning at Pathanamthitta. The court was established in the year 1956. It was part of old Travancore Kingdom and known as “Krishnapuram Munsiff’s Court”.

THE JUDICIAL FIRST CLASS MAGISTRATE COURT-I

The Judicial First Class Magistrate Court-I, Pathanamthitta started functioning on 1956.

THE JUDICIAL FIRST CLASS MAGISTRATE COURT-II

The Judicial First Class Magistrate Court-II, Pathanamthitta started functioning on 1980.

THIRUVALLA COURT CENTRE

The following courts are functioning in the Taluk Head Quarters of Thiruvalla.

 

  1. Family Court

  2. Sub Court

  3. Munsiff’s Court

  4. Judicial First Class Magistrate Court

FAMILY COURT

The Family Court at Thiruvalla is the first Family Court sanctioned to the Pathanamthitta District. The court was established in the year 2003. Initially the Family Court at Thiruvalla being the only Family Court in the district had its territorial jurisdiction over the entire Revenue District. Owing to the commencement of Family Court at Pathanamthitta, the number of Taluks now under its jurisdiction are reduced to two viz, Thiruvalla and Mallappally.

SUB COURT

The Sub Court at Thiruvalla was established in the year 1990. 

MUNSIFF’S COURT

The Munsiff’s Court, Thiruvalla has a long legacy of more than a century. The court was opened during the reign of Swathy Thirunal Ramavarma, the King of Travancore in the year 1835. The promulgation for establishment of Munsiff’s Courts in many parts of the state is regarded as his visionary approach in the justice delivery system.

JUDICIAL FIRST CLASS MAGISTRATE COURT

The Judicial First Class Magistrate Court at Thiruvalla was established in the year 1815. The court was part of Alappuzha Judicial District. When the Pathanamthitta District was formed in 1982 the court became a part of this Revenue District. Judicial First Class Magistrate Court, Thiruvalla is one among the oldest courts of Pathanamthitta District.

ADOOR COURT CENTRE

 

The court centre of Adoor consists of one Munsiff’s Court and a Judicial First Class Magistrate Court.

MUNSIFF’S COURT

It is learnt from the documents available that the Munsiff’s Court of Adoor had been functioning at Shengottai which was part of Travancore Kingdom now belongs to Tamil Nadu. Since 1928(1104 M E) the court is functioning in the present building constructed in the British Era. Up to the decline of the rule of Kings the court was designated as ‘District Munsiff’s Court’. That being so, the court has a very long and prestigious history that spreads over a century.

The Munsiff, Adoor is also designated as the Judicial Magistrate of First Class-II, Adoor since magisterial powers are invested upon him/her.

JUDICIAL FIRST CLASS MAGISTRATE COURT

The Judicial First Class Magistrate Court at Adoor started its functioning in the year 1956. The court was shifted to the newly constructed building on 06.04.1988 which was inaugurated by Justice Sri.V S Malimath, the Hon’ble Chief Justice of Kerala.

RANNY COURT CENTRE

 Court centre of Ranni consists of Munsiff’s Court,  Judicial First Class Magistrate Court and  Gram Nyayalaya.

MUNSIFF’S COURT

The court started its functioning on 18.08.1995. The famous pilgrim centre of the country, ‘Sabarimala’ comes under the territorial jurisdiction of the Munsiff’s Court, Ranni. A major portion of the Ranny Taluk is reserve forest area. The tourist attraction ‘Gavi’ also situated in the said Taluk.

The Munsiff, Ranni is also designated as the Judicial Magistrate of First Class-II, Ranni since magisterial powers are invested upon him/her.

JUDICIAL FIRST CLASS MAGISTRATE COURT 

The Judicial First Class Magistrate Court at Ranni started functioning in the year 1983. 

GRAM NYAYALAYA

The first Gram Nyayalaya sanctioned to Pathanamthitta District was inaugurated by Justice Sri. K. Harilal, Judge in Charge of Pathanmathitta District on 19.11.2016. Gram Nyayalaya is formed under the Gram Nyayaaya Act 2008. The territorial Jurisdiction of this Gram Nyayalaya is the area of Ranni Block Panchayat which includes Angadi, Ranni, Pazhavangadi, Vechoochira, Naranammoozhi, Perunadu, Vadasserikara, Chittar and Seethathodu Grama Panchayats. 

PANDALAM COURT CENTRE

The fifth Court Centre of the district was started with the opening of Gram Nyayalaya at Pandalam.

 

GRAM NYAYALAYA

The second Gram Nyayalaya sanctioned to Pathanamthitta District was inaugurated by Justice Sri. K. Harilal, Judge in Charge of Pathanmathitta District on 26.11.2016. Gram Nyayalaya is formed under the Gram Nyayaaya Act 2008. The territorial Jurisdiction of this Gram Nyayalaya is the area of Pandalam Block Panchayat which includes Pandalam Thekkekara, Thumpamon, Kulanada, Mezhuveli and Aranmula Grama Panchayats.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Front Page: 
Yes
Set Order: 
1