History of Katihar Judgeship
1. HISTORY OF JUDGESHIP Katihar district, the land of banana, was created on 2nd October 1973 by splitting up the earlier district of Purnea. Katihar is located at 25.53° N 87.58° E. It has an average elevation of 20 meters. The main rivers of the District are mighty Ganga (southern boundary, 25 kilometers from Katihar Town), magnificent Kosi (western boundary, 30 kilometers from Katihar Town) and beautiful Mahananda besides many other small rivers like Kari Kosi (flowing by the side of Katihar town), Kamla etc. The Kosi (Sorrow of Bihar) merges with Ganga at the south-west boundary of Katihar District. This District shares boundary with two states i.e. Jharkhand at the southern side and West Bengal at the eastern side. The Bangladesh lies around 80 km east of Katihar town and Nepal lies around 100 km north of Katihar Town. There is rail connectivity to both the borders from Katihar railway station. Its proximity to the Himalayas in the north, Jharkhand plateu in the south and a multiple of rivers combined with good rainfall gives it a distinct climate which can be termed more or less pleasant during most of the year. The rainy season flood is an annual feature. Headquarters: Area:3,057sqkm Population: Total:1825380 Rural:1653761 Urban:171619 SubDivisions:Barsoi,KatiharSadar,Manihari Blocks: Katihar, Barsoi, Kadwa, Amdabad, Manihari, Balrampur, Korha, Falka, Azamnagar, Barari,Pranpur,Mansahi,Samaeli,Kursaila,Hasanganj,Dandkhora Agriculture: Paddy, Makhana, Banana Industry: Jute,PaperMills Rivers: Mahananda, Ganges, Koshi, Righa Topography : The topography of the Katihar district has been very much affected by the floods of river Ganges, Mahananda and Koshi. The district has alluvial soil and due to deposit of sand-silt by rivers and soil in southern and the western part has become sandy. The land is slightly higher in the North and gradually slopping towards the South. The slop is gradual. There is no hill in the district except a small hillock in Manihari Block which is composed of nodular lime stone. Famous : Katihar is famous for Railway Junction of seven Railway lines/routes. Katihar is also famous for Jute Mills. There are two Jute Mills at Katihar. The gurudwara established by Guru Tegbahadur in Karahgola is situated in Katihar. This district is also birthplace of Vanful and Anuplal Mandal. Some other cultural heritage situated in Katihar are Gorakhnath Siva Mandir, Ajamnagar; Jama Masjid Anjum Eslamiya, Katihar; Gungunia Masjid, Manihari; Sarwajanik Durga Mandir Katihar; Purani Jama Masjid, Falka; Sri Satmant Satsang Mandir, Manihari; Pir Majar, Manihari. Tomography : Total Population of Katihar District is 2392638 as per 2001 Census in which Male Population is 1246872 and Female Population 1145766. Total Literacy of Katihar District is 35.29% in which Male Literates are 45.51% and Female Literates are 24.03%. In comparison to India and Bihar Literacy Rate of Katihar is very poor. Sex Ratio of Katihar in per 1000 Male is 920 female. Katihar before 1973- As per Purnea gazetteer (1799) Governor Navab Shaif Khan had preferred this place as a safe place for his treasure and called the place as Shaifganj (Sharifganj). Historian Fransis Bukanon has also used name Shaifganj for the Katihar. The present district Katihar came into existence in the year 1860 and named after a small village called Dighi-Katihar where a fierce battle was fought between army of the then nawab of Purnea and army of the then nawab of Murshidabad. Katihar was declared Subdivision vide notification of state government dated 24th April 1954 and word Shaifganj was also mentioned in bracket after Katihar. Salient feature of Katihar Judgeship- Creation- With the growing population of the country and multiplying problems of law and order the old districts were divided into new ones and accordingly the judgeship of Katihar was carved out from Purnea Judgeship on 30th September, 1978. Sri K N Verma was the 1st District and Sessions Judge, Katihar. It has no judicial subdivision. Area, Court Building and residential accommodation- Civil Court, Katihar has sprawling campus of 9 acre 82 decimal 7 kari land. The building of Katihar Judgeship is spread in 7 blocks. The ten court building of the judgeship has been recently inagurated by Hon'ble The Chief Justice Miss Rekha Manharlal Doshit, Patna High Court. ADR center (Mediation center- Nyay Sadan) is also working in the civil court premises. There are 22 residential quarter available in this judgeship excluding residence of The District and Sessions Judge. There are 14 quarters for class III staffs situated at mohalla Mirchaibari. There is no quarters for class IV staffs but one peon barrack consisting 13 rooms is available. E-Court project in Katihar Judgeship- Phase I of ecourts project including installation of computer equipments, uploading of data etc. has been completed and we are now progressing towards Phase II of ecourts project.