Home

Page Type

Present Judicial system of Gorakhpur Judgeship is result of gradual development of judicial administration. Initially Munsifs, Gorakhpur had his seat at Mansurganj but the shifting of the Tehsil headquarters to Maharajganj in 1862, the court was transferred to Gorakhpur. There were also two courts of honorary Munsifs. In 1903 Village Munsifs were appointed in the Gorakhpur Tahsils as an experiment. In 1909, the number of such Munsifs for 90 circles was limited to 24 for want of qualified persons. Near about 1909 the areas now compromising district of Gorakhpur and Deoria formed one district of Gorakhpur.The District and Sessions Judge had both civil and criminal jurisdiction in the entire district of Gorakhpur and also powers of hearing criminal appeals from the Basti district. There were also the courts of subordinate judge and three Munsifs of Gorakhpur, Bansgaon and Deoria excercising respective jurisdiction.                       

From august 1st, 1945, a separate Judgeship was created in Basti and thenceforth the Judgeship of Gorakhpur included the present Judgeship of Gorakhpur and Deoria. Then in the district there existed the permanent court of District and Sessions judge civil and session judge, judge small causes court, civil judge, Munsif of Gorakhpur and Bansgaon both at Gorakhpur. The temporary courts of an additional civil judge and four additional Munsifs also function in the then Judgeship of Gorakhpur. Later from September 12, 1964 and November 02, 1990, Deoria and Maharajganj also became separate Judgeships respectively.

Front Page: 
Yes
Set Order: 
1